Jim Kirk is a trial lawyer with extensive experience in a wide range of areas of the law, including oil and gas litigation, contract litigation, securities litigation, officers and directors’ liability, anti-trust litigation, and family law litigation. He has tried cases in both federal and state courts in Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, and Virginia. In many of these cases, the damages sought or defended against involved tens of millions of dollars. He has represented clients in some of the most complex, high net worth marital dissolutions in Oklahoma. He also has extensive experience in handing appeals before the Oklahoma Supreme Court and appeals before the Fourth, Fifth, and Tenth Circuit Courts of Appeals.
Jim’s accomplishments have been recognized by numerous organizations including The American College of Trial Lawyers, Litigation Counsel of America, Martindale Hubbel Law Directory, The Best Lawyers in America, Chambers and Partners, Super Lawyers, and Benchmark Litigation.
Jim has been a speaker at numerous seminars sponsored by the Oklahoma Bar Association and has served as a member of the Board and as President of the Oklahoma County Bar Association.
Jim has been appointed by three of Oklahoma’s Governors to serve on State Boards, Commissions, and Governor’s Advisory Committees.
When not practicing law, Jim enjoys fly fishing, playing golf, snow skiing, bird hunting, attending sporting events and visiting his daughter and grandchildren in Charleston, South Carolina.
- Member, Oklahoma Bar Association (Litigation Section, Family Law Section)
- Member, Oklahoma County Bar Association, President (2008-2009)
- Member, American Bar Association (Litigation Section, Family Law Section)
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers (Oklahoma State Chairman 2015 - 2017)
- AV Rated, Martindale Hubbell Law Directory
- Lecturer, The University of Oklahoma College of Law
- Listed in, The Best Lawyers in America® (Business Litigation, Family Law and Bet the Company Litigation)
- Listed in, Chambers and Partners USA (General Commercial Litigation)
- Named, Top Ten Oklahoma Super Lawyers® in Business Litigation by Law & Politics, Oklahoma Magazine (2006)
- Member, American Inns of Court XXII (Luther Bohanon Inn of Court, 1987 - )
- Member, Board of Corrections, State of Oklahoma (1977-1984); President (1980-1982)
- Member, Governors’ Advisory Committee, Criminal Justice (1981-1984); Chairman, Corrections Subcommittee (1981-1984)
- Member, Horseracing Commission, State of Oklahoma (1985-1991); Chairman (1988-1989)
- Member, Bureau of Investigation Commission, State of Oklahoma (1992-1999)
- Oklahoma (Admitted 1968)
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Courts of Appeal, Fourth, Fifth and Tenth Circuits
- United States District Courts, Western, Eastern and Northern Districts of Oklahoma
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- University of Oklahoma (B.B.A., 1964)
- University of Oklahoma College of Law (J.D., 1968)